Wednesday, September 5, 2012


Hi everyone! Since I use blogs pretty frequently for work, I thought that today, I'd write a quick post about blogging. If you have a blog already, a lot of this stuff might still be helpful, especially if you're applying for jobs or college. First of all:
  • Blogging can help you make important connections.
You'll hear this a lot both in college and at work; who you know matters. Having a network of people who you can turn to for information is important, because it can really help you out when you're looking for a job, trying to get scholarships, etc. Having a blog that tells people about who you are can help expand your network. This brings me to my next point:
  • A blog is a great way to advertise who you are.
This is a pretty basic thing; if you're going to start a blog, I recommend that you write about things that you're interested in and things that you know about. (For me, that means blogging about YA books, graphic novels, and crafts.) Ask yourself a few questions when you start your blog, such as:
  • What do I like to do?
  • What kind of talents do I have?
  • What kind of college do I want to attend?
  • What kind of job do I want to find?
Most employers and colleges are going to ask about your hobbies and interests, and having a blog to point to is a great way to tell people about yourself. Of course, you don't want to share too much on a blog. This brings me to my last point:
  • Be careful what you blog.
You've probably heard this about a million times before, but that's because it's true: think about what you do on the internet before you do it! Stuff you post on Facebook or on your blog really can come back to haunt you, so just be mindful of that. If you want to have a blog where you say whatever you want, fine: have a personal blog and a professional blog, and be careful to keep them separate. Don't feel like you constantly have to censor yourself, but when expressing opinions, try to avoid swearing or saying anything you wouldn't say in front of a boss or teacher.
  • General Tips About Blogging
One last thing: if you want to start a blog, then try to make it uniquely yours. It's fine to reblog stuff that other people have created, but try to create your own content sometimes too. (Especially for a professional blog, most of the content should be yours.) You don't always have to do text posts, and I probably wouldn't add your resume to your blog; posting photos of you and your friends enjoying a hobby or of you at your current job is a more concise, and arguably more effective way to show colleges and employers who you are.

If you'd like an example of a professional blog, check out the one I run for the library: http://ripl-teen-book-reviews.tumblr.com/

And as thanks for checking out this long text post, tomorrow I'll post a cute picture of a cat. (This is the internet after all, so even on a professional blog, there's room for the occasional cute cat picture. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment